In all of my experience building PCs I have used power supplies by, OCZ, Corsair, Thermaltake, EVGA, Antec, bequiet!, Seasonic and HDPlex. With all this experience, I have known about the quality and workmanship of the FSP power supplies, I just never used their power supplies before due to build theme or due to strict budget. Today, I finally get the opportunity to take a look at a power supply by one of the biggest names in the power supply industry. We will take a closer look a new power supply, the FSP Hydro PTM 750w.
- Low Loads for Silent Operation: Hydro PTM series are featured with intelligent fan speed control circuit design which uses a diameter of 135mm, fluid dynamic bearing, for low noise and reliable operation at low and medium loads
- 1LLC Half Bridge Topology with DC-DC Module Design: Hydro PTM series features extremely tight voltage regulation to make the output voltage regulation under +/- 1%at any load change and offer you supreme efficiency and voltage stability
- 80 PLUS® Platinum Certification: Hydro PTM series come with 80 Plus Platinum Certification which means your power supplies consume less heat and have a lower operating cost. The power supplies are guaranteed to operate at a minimum of 92% efficiency at 50% load of PSU rated power
- 10-Year Warranty: FSP is committed to manufacturing high-quality and reliable power supplies. The Hydro PTM series are backed by our 10-year warranty
- Fully Modular Design for Quick and Easy Installation: Fully modular design simplifies installation and allows you to use only the cables you need, for a neater, cleaner build
- Unique & Stylish Design in DIY Spirit: The power supplies come with 3 changeable side stickers to show your style,perfect for DIY enthusiasts and gamers
- Safety Protection: OVP (Over Voltage Protection), UVP (Under Voltage Protection), OCP (Over Current Protection), OPP ( Over Power Protection), SCP (Short Circuit Protection), and OTP (Over Temperature Protection), a full guardian circuit protections to keep your hardware safe
- Dimensions: (WxDxH) 170 mm x 150 mm x 86 mm
- Type: ATX 12V 2.4
- Modular: Fully Modular
- Warranty: 10 Years
- Input Voltage: 100-240 VAC ±10%
- Input Current: 10A-5A
- Input Frequency Range: 50Hz-60Hz
- PFC: Active PFC (>0.9 typical)
- Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
- Efficiency: 92% Typically
- Protection: OCP, OVP, UVP, SCP, OPP, OTP
- Output: 750W
- Fan: 135mm FDB Fan
- Certification:80 Plus Platinum
- Connector: 1 x MB 24(20+4) Pin, 2 x 8(4+4) Pin EPS 12V, 6 x 8(6+2) Pin PCI-E, 14 x SATA, 5 x Molex, 1 x FDD
- Weight: 1.68Kg
Taking at look at the front of the box you are introduced with a nice graphic of the FSP Hydro PTM 750w PSU with an aura around it. FSP has their logo on the front of the box and you can notice the badges for 80+ Platinum, VR Ready and a 10 year warranty. One side of the box has diagrams of the different connectors included with the PSU. The other side of the box has diagrams about Acoustic Noise and PSU efficiency. The back of the box has another picture of the PSU, some more information about the features and also what is included in the box.
Removing the cardboard sleeve and opening up the box, you notice a great slogan by FSP, “Power Never Ends”. You can notice some foam covering the right side of the box which is used to protect the PSU, a quick start guide and documentation on top of the foam and lastly a cardboard divider that separates the cables from the PSU.
The documentation sleeve has the quick start guide, warranty information and also 2 sets of stickers to be able to either install green or red stickers to the side of your PSU, in case the blue stickers do not go with your build theme.
A Closer Look at the PSU
Test System, Installation and Performance
- CPU: Intel 8600K
- Motherboard: EVGA Z370 FTW
- Memory: Gskill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 mhz
- GPU: ASUS ROG HD 5870 2GB
- CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
- PSU: FSP Hydro PTM 850w
Installing the PSU was very straight forward. FSP does provide you with four mounting screws and also some cable ties. The cables are aesthetically pleasing as they are black and flat and tend to not mess with the aesthetics of your build.
Performance has been great over the last few days with the 750w PSU. Testing several GPUs from the Vega 64, a RTX 2080 and even a RX 590, the FSP Hydro didn’t miss a beat. It showed great efficiency and using this PSU, I feel like I’m getting the best power efficiency coming out of the wall. I also love the security of knowing that the quality parts used inside the PSU will protect my components from any power issues and allow me to either keep testing or gaming on!
- 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency
- Flat Black Cables
- Compact size
- 100% Japanese Capacitors for efficiency and life expectancy
- Amazing 10 Year warranty